Kellye Nakahara in June 2012
|Born:||January 16, 1947|
|Birthplace||Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.|
|Died:||February 16, 2020(aged 73)|
|Years active:||1972-2020, her death|
|Spouse(s):||David Wallett, 1968-2020, her death|
|Related to:||Daughter Nalani and Son William|
|Episodes appeared in:||167 episodes in total|
|Character(s) played:||Lieutenant Kellye Yamato/Nurse Able/Nurse|
Kellye Nakahara (born January 16, 1947-died February 16, 2020) is an American actress, best known for playing various nurses, most notably, Lieutenant Kellye Yamato, in 167 episodes of the CBS television comedy M*A*S*H from 1972-1983.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Nakahara was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. Before becoming an actress, Nakahara moved from Hawai‘i to San Francisco to pursue a career in art. She married David Wallett, and moved to Los Angeles to try acting. Other than M*A*S*H, she has had small roles and guest spots on several other television shows, had a small part in the films Clue (1985) as the domestic cook, and in the 1996 film Black Day Blue Night. Along with several other M*A*S*H cast members, she was a spokesperson for IBM.
After the cancellation of M*A*S*H, Kellye, who is a graduate of Kalani High School in Honolulu, still occasionally worked as an actress, as well as working as a watercolor artist who painted and exhibited under her married name, Kellye Wallett. She has two children. Daughter Nalani is married to Lee and has twins David and William. Son William is married to Tasha and has sons Max and Grayson.
Kellye and husband David Wallett resided in Pasadena, California, where she was involved with the East West Players theater group, the Town Singers vocal group, the Pasadena Cherry Blossom Festival, and as an arts commissioner for the city. She and her husband often visited the Ronald McDonald House there every year to donate her time and paintings to children there.
Death[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Carmel, Julia. "Kellye Nakahara, a Memorable Nurse on ‘M*A*S*H,’ Dies at 73", The New York Times, February 19, 2020. Retrieved on February 19, 2020.
- "Kellye Nakahara Wallett, Actress on 'M*A*S*H,' Dies at 72", Associated Press, The Hollywood Reporter, February 17, 2020. Retrieved on February 18, 2020.
- Kellye Nakahara Wallett, Actress on 'M*A*S*H,' Dies at 72 Hollywoodreporter.com, the Associated Press, 17 February 2020
[edit | edit source]
- Kellye Nakahara at the Internet Movie Database
- Kellye Nakahara article at Wikipedia
- Interview with Kellye Nakahara (dead link)
- "Viral" blog posting on Kellye Nakahara, mentioned in the below link to an NPR interview. "A Tribute to Nurse Kellye," Published March 27, 2016 by Fat Heffalump (Kath Read) 
- NPR Interview with Kellye Nakahara: "Nurse Kellye Of 'M*A*S*H' Still gets Fan Mail For Breakthrough Role" Heard on Weekend Edition Sunday